[Scribus] file format 1.3.3.x and 1.3.4

E Armstrong eddie_armstrong
Thu Nov 30 10:21:30 CET 2006

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> I just noticed recently that 1.3.3.x versions cannot import 1.3.4cvs

I don't understand why this is an issue. People do not generally expect
older versions of a program to be able to read newer versions' documents.
We are always advised to use a stable older version for production.
Why would we want the developers wasting precious development time
trying to incorporate such an esoteric feature?  Just don't create
valuable stuff in a newer version until it has been proved stable unless
you're prepared to take the risk or to move components manually .

As for comparing it to Microsoft - there/* is*/ no comparison. MS files
are hidden proprietary formats no one can access or repair which could
conceal anything. Also Scribus is only version 1.3.x -  MS Word for
example is at least version 9 or 10 (more like 100 if you include
countless bug-fixes). And if Scribus ever stopped supporting old Scribus
formats then they're still accessible as XML!
Presumably  Scribus will occasionally need to change it's format to
incorporate new ideas and features which  could not have been
incorporated right from the start.but I really can't see why an older
version should be able to read a newer versions files.
Eddie