[Scribus] entire modified document missing

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Fri Nov 17 00:19:59 CET 2006

Calum Polwart wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 17:33 +0000, ljedi at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> Hello, I'm new to the list, so be kind.  I have already searched the bug archives and found nothing like this problem --  I have been using Scribus for about a year with only minor problems.  HOWEVER, yesterday I modified a document, repeatedly saving changes using the disk icon throughout the day.  But when I opened the document this morning, none of my changes were there -- just the old document I had started with yesterday.  Since I put about 8 hours of work into it, my hope is that someone will know how best to recover this lost data, or at least know what happened.  Does anyone have any advice?
>>
>> BTW, in the past, all modified documents have loaded fine with all changes intact.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice!
>>

> Strange.  I don't garuntee to be of help but 3 things to check which at
> least means they are done for when someone who knows what they are
> talking bout picks this up!
>
> 1. scribus creates a working backup file called .bak so you have a file
> called myfile.sla.bak - check it out it may have your changes in it.
> (renamne it to mybackupfile.sla and open it as normal)
>
> 2. if scribus crahses (at least on linux) it tries to save an extra
> backup file to myfile.sla.emergency again change this to myemergency.sla
> and open as a normal sla file and you will see where it saved it.
>
> 3. Could scribus have saved it in the 'wrong' directory - try searching
> your whole machine for *.sla and see if anything from yesterday comes
> up.

Scribus has this way sometimes of saving to unexpected locations. Some
hints might come from looking in File > Open Recent. Unless you've saved
a bunch of other files, it should be in that list.
Also check default settings in File > Preferences to see where files
could go.

Greg