[Scribus] entire modified document missing

Calum Polwart scribus
Thu Nov 16 23:03:08 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 17:33 +0000, ljedi at comcast.net wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to the list, so be kind.  I have already searched the bug archives and found nothing like this problem --  I have been using Scribus for about a year with only minor problems.  HOWEVER, yesterday I modified a document, repeatedly saving changes using the disk icon throughout the day.  But when I opened the document this morning, none of my changes were there -- just the old document I had started with yesterday.  Since I put about 8 hours of work into it, my hope is that someone will know how best to recover this lost data, or at least know what happened.  Does anyone have any advice?
>
> BTW, in the past, all modified documents have loaded fine with all changes intact.
>
> Thanks for any advice!

Strange.  I don't garuntee to be of help but 3 things to check which at
least means they are done for when someone who knows what they are
talking bout picks this up!

1. scribus creates a working backup file called .bak so you have a file
called myfile.sla.bak - check it out it may have your changes in it.
(renamne it to mybackupfile.sla and open it as normal)

2. if scribus crahses (at least on linux) it tries to save an extra
backup file to myfile.sla.emergency again change this to myemergency.sla
and open as a normal sla file and you will see where it saved it.

3. Could scribus have saved it in the 'wrong' directory - try searching
your whole machine for *.sla and see if anything from yesterday comes
up.

Calum