[Scribus] OT: Outlook and Mailing List interactions (Re: Announce: Scribus 1.3.4 Feature...)

Gustavo Homem gustavo
Thu Nov 16 20:04:34 CET 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:51:33PM -0500, Nicholas Vettese wrote:

> [...]

The only thing wrong is that you're missing the quotation symbols (">")
that enable distinguishing quoted text from new text.

This is something Outlook doesn't do by default, so you have to
configure to enable this.

Even then it only works if the original message is pure text (as usually
on this mailing list), otherwyse Outlook will miss the quotation symbols
regardless of the configuration.

(unless you set

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\[9.0][10.0][11.0]\Outlook\Options\Mail\ReadAsPlain

to 1)

This is in fact an old bug.

> See, I understand emails.  I know that they can be taken the wrong way,
> so I take the time to read them if they sound off.  That is when I saw

So don't take the following in the wrong way either: :-)

Microsoft has *some* good products (office), other OK products, and
other awfull ones (IE, Outlook).

And Outlook is the worst email client I know, and tends to create weird
ways of emailing on the users.

Other examples are the lack of "threaded messages", which suggests
the user that creating a new message or replying to an old one and
changing the subject mean the same.

What about the emails being invisible in the message header? (only the
name is seen).

Not to mention that you have to setup an smtp server for each account,
so everytime you offer a POP account to an Outlook user, he will demand
and STMP server from you, no matter how much you explain....

> your smiley :), and I was okay.  This group is truly one of the best
> groups ever.  There are arguments, but we all seem to know how to work
> together.  And again, this group teaches me something brand new.  :)

Well, it is a pleasure to interact to this mailing list... especially
comparing to previous technical interactions with Outlook users :-)

Even on windows, there are alternatives, such as Thunderbird.

I hope you take this advice on a positive manner... I know this problem
quite well, unfortunately.

Best regards
Gustavo

> Thanks,
> Nick

> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Angulo S?lido - Tecnologias de Informa??o
http://angulosolido.pt