[Scribus] 1.3.3.x backports and a rundown of some simple bugs for stable

Michael Koren kung42o
Sat Nov 4 04:50:39 CET 2006

Plinnell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While I have not looked in depth into the bugs you listed, I'll make
> some general comments about how we approach stabilizing 1.3.3.x vs
> fixes which are in 134cvs exclusively.
>
> First almost any minor bug relating to text and or text frames, while
> it might be seem simple, may require sometimes invasive changes to
> fix and rather we'd prefer to live with them for the near term in
> 1.3.3.x Thus they are resolved in 134cvs exclusively.
>
> We also do backport fixes from 134cvs into 1.3.3.x where they make
> sense and can be tested properly without breaking something else. For
> example, Jean Ghali has made a bunch of improvements in SVG import
> recently almost all going into both branches.
>
> So, in the end its a judgment call balancing limited developer time,
> making progress on the next version and evaluating the risk in
> backporting some fixes among other considerations.
>
> I just wanted to explain to folks how we make these kinds of decisions
> and we do very carefully follow the bug tracker.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the explanation.

I hope I didn't come across as pushy in my post, of course it's your call.
:) I wasn't sure about the 1.3.4 stuff, and I thought maybe I could help by
sorting through all my bugs to find the ones that looked the most glaring
and simple to fix from my perspective, that would improve the user
experience for the stable branch (there were a lot of them to go through
that didn't seem so straightforward).

I'm sure everyone will have their own list, and there've certainly already
been a lot of nice fixes in recent releases.

Once I'm more familiar with the code, ideally I could have fixed a bunch of
them myself in the same amount of time (I hope... :).

Thanks again everyone for the great work.

Michael