[Scribus] 1.3.3.x backports and a rundown of some simple bugs for stable

Plinnell mrdocs
Sat Nov 4 00:08:33 CET 2006

On Friday 03 November 2006 23:48, Michael Koren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that a number of my bugs have been closed as fixed in
> 1.3.4. Since 1.3.3.x is the official stable version now, it seems
> bugs that are relatively simple correctness and consistency issues
> should be left open until fixed there too, shouldn't they? The ones
> I've noticed are:
>
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3871 - wrong coordinates of
> group on paste
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3633 - text entry reversal
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3608 / 3791 - group scaling
> with rotation and nonstandard basepoints
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3596 - editing locked frame
> shape weirdness
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3641 - flip icon consistency
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3644 - flipping groups (looks
> already fixed)
>
> And I thought I'd list a few more correctness issues that look
> pretty simple to fix for stable, that I thought might be nice for
> 1.3.3.5 if there's still time :) :
>
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3651 - default text colors
> taken from wrong place
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3609 - wrong coordinate display
> on lock http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3424 - wrong coords on
> change of basepoint
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3792 - rotating group shows
> wrong value (depends on how it was selected)
>
> ...and finally, here are a couple more sets I'm aware of that
> relate to consistency or correctness, that I think might be most
> useful to fix for a stable release and may be worth looking at in
> the near future:
>
> - Consistency with locked frames: 2343, 3188 (deleting text); 3606
> (group/ungroup on context menu)
> - Distortions while working with groups and rotated objects (some
> could have been fixed already with 3791/3608): 3649/1403 (when
> click on it wrong), 3612 (resizing rotated frames), 3724/2980 etc.
> (with CTRL-resize) - PP incorrectly/misleadingly  handles groups
> depending on first selected item: 3640, 3610
> - Wrong behavior resizing multiple text frames (3423)
>
> Just to mention a few of my favorites. :) Thanks everyone for the
> great work on stabilizing 1.3.3.x! I remember when 1.3.1 was the
> new development release that I switched to for its new features.
>
> Thanks again,
> Michael

Hi,

While I have not looked in depth into the bugs you listed, I'll make
some general comments about how we approach stabilizing 1.3.3.x vs
fixes which are in 134cvs exclusively.

First almost any minor bug relating to text and or text frames, while
it might be seem simple, may require sometimes invasive changes to
fix and rather we'd prefer to live with them for the near term in
1.3.3.x Thus they are resolved in 134cvs exclusively.

We also do backport fixes from 134cvs into 1.3.3.x where they make
sense and can be tested properly without breaking something else. For
example, Jean Ghali has made a bunch of improvements in SVG import
recently almost all going into both branches.

So, in the end its a judgment call balancing limited developer time,
making progress on the next version and evaluating the risk in
backporting some fixes among other considerations.

I just wanted to explain to folks how we make these kinds of decisions
and we do very carefully follow the bug tracker.

Cheers,

Peter