[Scribus] I really shouldn't open my mouth... but I'm going to

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu Nov 2 05:07:45 CET 2006

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Gregory Pittman wrote:
>
>> Eilert wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, but he said "those are Windows users" - the wiki article refers to
>>> a Linux environment with all those tricky little helpers and Ghostscript
>>> on it...
>>>

>> It's sort of a philosophical issue. Windows users tend to be something
>> like spoiled children, and like dealing with a spoiled child, you have
>> to find ways to get them to learn in spite of themselves. We probably
>> need to suggest that they try to find someone with a stronger OS rather
>> than the weak one they have, so that they might have that stronger OS
>> person process their files for them. We just can't expect everyone to
>> have the patience and cognitive skills to be able to handle these tasks
>> -- isn't that what Windows was created for anyway -- the "OS for Dummies"?
>>

> Fishing for flames today?
>
> Sorry, but I don't think broad insults at groups of users are a
> particularly good idea. If you were joking I'm afraid it's not obvious.

It was really a contextual comment...not a generic Windows user or a
generic Windows issue, but more about the type of Windows user who
expects everything to either already be on his machine, or automagically
install itself. The type who, when you suggest that they get some
utility that's freely available, has a version for Windows, is easily
found, then complains because its GUI isn't what they're used to. But
this is the sort of user Microsoft has fertilized and cultivated. We've
had some similar-drifting-offtopic conversations about those who go to
school to get an education versus those who just want to be handed the
answers to the tests.
I don't think there's anything wrong with finding out if those who
purport to want help have some level of mental flexibility to learn
something rather than just want someone to "fix it" for them.

Greg