[Scribus] Old Style Figures - substituting glyphs from one font

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Mon May 15 20:25:32 CEST 2006

Pierre-Luc Auclair a ?crit :

> On Monday 15 May 2006 14:11, Louis Desjardins wrote:
>
>>>Well, I had figured that solution out, is there no way of substituting
>>>(globally) the numbers of the regular font with another? I know that is
>>>mixing of fonts, which should be avoided generally, but in this case
>>>this solution could be prone to create errors as well, a last minute
>>>change in the text, and suddenly we have both old style figures and
>>>majuscle numbers in the same text.
>>
>>You're absolutely right pointing at the "creating errors" issue. There
>>is no better way at the moment (unless something could be done with
>>scripting, but I cannot advise on this). But the issue is known and
>>there are plans to have a "super search & replace" function that would
>>allow to handle these cases in one single operation.
>

> In this case, OpenType functions ? la InDesign would be much better than a
> S&R. I assume it would not be that difficult, given that it seems glyphs have
> standardized names (at least that's what it seems in all the fonts I've
> opened so far).

Yes. But afaik this is available only for OpenType fonts. The Expert
sets are PostScript Type 1 fonts. Provided the upgrade pricing policy
from Adobe to actually "side-grade" and even though ID and the coming
QXP7 support OpenType, we are not very likely to see a tide of OpenType
fonts... But things can change fast, I agree! Nonetheless, the Super
Search & Replace has other benefits *plus* this one!