[Scribus] Motif version of Scribus

PLinnell mrdocs
Mon May 15 15:08:59 CEST 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 14:12, Gustavo Homem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would really like a nice looking Motif version of Scribus.
>
> Ok, now I really got your attention :-)

:-)

> Is there a reliable way to do PDF cropping on Linux?

Nothing I would consider solid enough for pre-press.

For pre-press, I am of the opinion the less you touch Scribus PDF
export with commonly known Linux/Unix command line tools, the better.

> Searching with google I found:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/pdfcrop/
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-February/msg02223.h
>tml
>
> The first one seems to involve conversion to Tex, which doesn't
> sound to good. Second one uses convert, from the Image Magik
> package.
>
> But is this enough to use on press quality PDFs?
>
> The motivation for this is that people produce PDFs, with bleed
> margins for printing. However when same PDFs are to be used for
> viewing it would be nice to be able to remove the bleed margins
> without having to change the source document.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Best regards
> Gustavo
>
> P.S.: I hope nooone's ofended by the bad joke :-)

It will go in the FAQ, along with the "Will there be a GTK port?"
question.  :-)

There are exactly two possibly three desktop tools which can do this:

Acrobat Pro - Cropping does not always work as intended with some PDF,
depending on creating application.

PitStop Pro from Enfocus - a special Acrobat plugin, which is the
"swiss army knife" of PDF . More reliable at cropping in my
experience.

Quite a Box of Tricks.. - another special Acrobat plugin.  I have no
experience using this for cropping, but its editing features are
pretty good.

There are other tools, but those are usally part of a pre-press
workflow system like Prinergy or Dalim.

Note in the above desktop tools, they do not change the page size,
merely the viewable part of the PDF.

Peter