[Scribus] Motif version of Scribus

Gustavo Homem gustavo
Mon May 15 16:32:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

Thanks for your answer Peter.

> > Is there a reliable way to do PDF cropping on Linux?
>
> Nothing I would consider solid enough for pre-press.
>
> For pre-press, I am of the opinion the less you touch Scribus PDF
> export with commonly known Linux/Unix command line tools, the better.
>

> There are exactly two possibly three desktop tools which can do this:
>
> Acrobat Pro - Cropping does not always work as intended with some PDF,
> depending on creating application.
>
> PitStop Pro from Enfocus - a special Acrobat plugin, which is the
> "swiss army knife" of PDF . More reliable at cropping in my
> experience.
>
> Quite a Box of Tricks.. - another special Acrobat plugin.  I have no
> experience using this for cropping, but its editing features are
> pretty good.
>
> There are other tools, but those are usally part of a pre-press
> workflow system like Prinergy or Dalim.

So, given that we'd like to use free tools only, is the only way to solve this, having two document source files? (one with bleed margins, the other without)

> Note in the above desktop tools, they do not change the page size,
> merely the viewable part of the PDF.

A PDF with bleed margins should have the desired document size plus margins right?

Ex, for an A4 with 3mm bleed al around it should be 216x303mm. True?

Why shouldn't cropping the PDF change the page size? (although if we crop from a press PDF to a viewing PDF may not matter I think).

Best regards
Gustavo

> Peter

Angulo S?lido - Tecnologias de Informa??o
http://angulosolido.pt