[Scribus] (no subject)

avox avox
Tue May 9 19:51:52 CEST 2006

PLinnell wrote:

>> >If that's stated on the Scribus webpage it needs corrected.
>>
>> Andreas, I found the infopage:
>> http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&sm=setup&page=fonts1
>> quote: ...

Thanks Peter, for pointing that out for us!

> That said, you *can* sub-set fonts reliably for commercial print work
> - though there are some minor advantages depending what kind of
> workflow the printer uses.
>
> Bottom line is usually what your printer wants is what you should give
> them within reason. I do not think if you were using CJK fonts your
> printer would want 100MB of fonts in a PDF of 2 pages ;-)

I'll would like to add some technical notes about what Scribus does
and what other options may be possible in the future:

* full font embedding (Type1 and TTF fonts)
  A more or less verbatim copy is included in the file.
* subsetting
  The original fontfile is abridged so it only contains the used characters.
  Sometimes this also uses incremental fonts in PS. It's an optimization
  to reduce memory resources in the RIP. This method is the only one
  besides full subsetting which leaves the hinting information intact
  (important for high quality screen view)
* converting to outlines (and subsetting)
  This converts the text to ordinary vector shapes. Scribus defines a
  subroutine (PS) or form (PDF) for each character used. This reduces
  the file size only if just a fraction of the original font's character set
  is used (eg. CJK fonts). For normal latin fonts it may *increase* file
  size since the subroutine encoding is not as compact as in a fontfile.
* recoding to Type3 (and subsetting)
  This would be fairly easy to implement and would provide similar results
  as our current subsetting method. Text selection in PDF would be possible.
* recoding tp Type1 (and subsetting)
  This is technically more challenging but provides compact fonts which are
  very compatible.
* no inclusion
  The font must be installed on the user's system or is substituted.

Currently Scribus uses the first, third and last method. Full embedding of
TTF
fonts is not suppported for PS since not all printers support TTF (also
called Type42).

In the future I'd like to see the following options in Scribus:

* embed
* subset
* embed, recode as Type1
* convert to outlines

The last two options would be useful if printers have problems with a
font.

Comments?

/Andreas