[Scribus] (no subject)

PLinnell mrdocs
Tue May 9 18:31:13 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 16:52, Peter Haraldson wrote:
> >> About subsetting:
> >> I did read about it in Scribus manual or homepage, of course I
> >> can't find it now...
> >> But it did say something like: "You can use subsetting reliably
> >> except if you send to commercial printer".
> >
> >If that's stated on the Scribus webpage it needs corrected.
>
> Andreas, I found the infopage:
> http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&sm=setup&page=fonts1
> quote:
>
> "Other notes about fonts and font management:
>
>     * Sub-Setting fonts is including all the glyphs in the font in
> the PostScript stream or a PDF. This allows smaller PDFs, at the
> expense of making it difficult to make minor edits in pre-press
> tools like Pit Stop. Unless you are sending PDF to commerical
> printer, you can sub-set fonts fairly reliably. This is important
> when you are trying to keep a downloadable PDF to the smallest
> size."
>
> Tobias (my printer) says: "Subsetting means only the letters
> actually used are embedded in the document. You shall _not_ use it
> when sending to us!"
>
> But Peter & Andreas, you both say it might be quite a good idea to
> use subsetting? Don't really know what to believe,
> confusionconfusion...

> :-)
>
> As for the rest, since it's now researched in a bug-report I guess
> we can close this issue?
> --
>   Peter Haraldson
>   peterharaldson at ml1.net

That part of the docs needs some updates given it was written when the
way font embedding worked was a bit different and Open Type fonts
were not supported.

Will update and post online soon.

That said, you *can* sub-set fonts reliably for commercial print work
- though there are some minor advantages depending what kind of
workflow the printer uses.

Bottom line is usually what your printer wants is what you should give
them within reason. I do not think if you were using CJK fonts your
printer would want 100MB of fonts in a PDF of 2 pages ;-)

Peter