[Scribus] need help creating a "green bar paper" effect

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists
Tue May 2 10:25:04 CEST 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 05:31:40PM -0400, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> > To make it easier for people's eye to stay on the correct line, I am
> > looking to create an effect where each line has an alternating background
> > color; similar to the old green bar computer printer paper.
> >
> > I'm still a newbie with Scribus so I not sure how to create the effect.
> > The booklet will have about 36 pages of US letter-size paper printed in
> > landscape mode.
> >
> > I want to work it out so alternating background is a separate layer from
> > the actual text. This way we don't have to rearrange the colored
> > backgrounds when new information is added.

> I would suggest you consider making an image frame behind the text
> frame. Use Inkscape or Gimp to create an image with the repetitive
> horizontal bars, then save to some form of bitmap, so you can stretch
> the image inside the frame to match the line height and frame width --
> that way you can vary the font and style without having to create a new
> image.

I'd also suggest to use the "Align to baseline grid" setting for the
text style. This way, you can fine-tine the baseline grid to match the
background exactly (enable displaying the baseline grid to get the
alignment right).

HTH,

Tino.