[Scribus] need help creating a "green bar paper" effect

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon May 1 23:31:40 CEST 2006

Bob Billson wrote:
> Hi all! I am designing an information booklet for my local volunteer
> rescue squad. I have a long list of information with each line containing
> unique information. Kind along the lines of name, address, etc but a bit
> more complicated.
>
> To make it easier for people's eye to stay on the correct line, I am
> looking to create an effect where each line has an alternating background
> color; similar to the old green bar computer printer paper.
>
> I'm still a newbie with Scribus so I not sure how to create the effect.
> The booklet will have about 36 pages of US letter-size paper printed in
> landscape mode.
>
> I want to work it out so alternating background is a separate layer from
> the actual text. This way we don't have to rearrange the colored
> backgrounds when new information is added.
>
> I'm working with Scribus 1.2.x although I'll play with 1.3 if would do the
> job better. I looked through the Wiki and templates, but so far no ideas
> have come to mind.
>
> Can anyone give me a push in the right direction? Thanks!

I would suggest you consider making an image frame behind the text
frame. Use Inkscape or Gimp to create an image with the repetitive
horizontal bars, then save to some form of bitmap, so you can stretch
the image inside the frame to match the line height and frame width --
that way you can vary the font and style without having to create a new
image.

Greg