[Scribus] Font problem - Bitstream type 1 not working

PLinnell mrdocs
Mon May 1 19:46:59 CEST 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 19:01, Peter Haraldson wrote:
> Having read a lot about fonts, I decided to use type1-fonts from
> Bitstream, delivered with CorelVentura for WinNT, bought somewhere
> around 1999. Age should not be a problem, only Type 1 fonts before
> 1991 are warned for.
> Result: The produced pdf won't print, kghostview outputs "Embedded
> font uses undefined procedure RD" same for ND, 2 lines repeated
> lots of times. Finally: "this pdf does not conform to standard..."

1) As mentioned in the documentation in several different places,
there are 4 viewers we recommend for viewing Scribus PDF. Acrobat
Reader 5+, GSview on Linux or Windows with the latest Ghostscript
available.

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=topten

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=pdfexport1

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=toolbox1

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=toolbox2

2) I believe the RD error was corrected in a later version of
Ghostscript. I suspect yours is 7.0.7

> BUT! Acroread 5 on Linux, 7 on WinXP views and prints fine, no
> error messages! Going to my local printer, it won't print.

How your printer attempting to print ? Placing the PDF in another
application ? Ask the printer to precisely outline what process and
printer he is using. If in the case, id they are placing the PDF's in
Quark Xpress then printing, we specifically *do not* recommend this
procedure.

We now have two confirmed cases where Scribus generated PDF's were not
printing were caused by RIP errors which were corrected by driver or
firmware updates.

Mind you we take reliability in Postscript generation and PDF export.
So when we hear problems at a printer, we're very curious to know the
details.

>No  messages. AcrobatReader is supposed to be the best pdf-reader
> available, Scribus is supposed to be "very fussy about fonts",
> discarding unusable fonts. Hmmm...

It is. Scribus rejects fonts with even minor defects.

> Using these fonts In Ventura for WinNT, there weren't one single
> problem (but then it doesn't create PDF's).
> The only fonts that work fine so far are those with "Foundry:
> unknown" - font experts clearlly warns for such fonts!
>
> Now I'm looking for an answer to a few questions:
> 1) What is actually wrong with the fonts? "Undefined
> procedure"...what does it mean? Could I edit something in the
> .afm-files for instance? 2) If Bitstream Type1 is no good - then
> what can I trust, how do I know? Is there any way to test fonts
> besides using kghostview - which only says some fonts are unusable
> but not which of them?
> --

See above. You did not indicate which distro or version of Scribus
which is always helpful for diagnosing troubles.

Hope that helps,

Peter