[Scribus] Torture testing Scribus

Gustavo Homem gustavo
Sat Mar 25 02:13:32 CET 2006

> > > If you get the chance to explain.. mention a couple of things that
> > > might put things in perspective:
> > >
> > > 1) Everyone learnt the software they now know at some time. At that
> > > time, they surely took some time to learn it. Expecting to know how
> > > Scribus does things the first time or within a very short period is
> > > somewhat unrealistic.
> > >
> > > 2) Adobe and Quark and all the other commercial software companies
> > > spend millions of dollars, yearly, and have done so for many many years
> > > with many many developers. Scribus is 4 years old, and now has about 8
> > > people constantly working on it in their free/not-so-free time, with a
> > > very helpful contributor base I must add. Money so far received to
> > > support this effort is a **lot** less than one full time commercial
> > > developer's annual pay for one year.

Besides developers Adobe and Quark have probably their armies of testers.
Software only goes mature after being tested by regular people.

Developers and advanced Linux users, are skilled people, which make use of a
certain "discipline" when using software. In other words, they don't do
stupid things, and that prevents many bugs from being found.

End users, are often "artists" which know how to layout a nice looking page
but have no clue on how software works. They will do all possible stunts on
the software.

Simple example: perform an action on Scribus, which makes it "hang" for a
second before responding again,

Developer: hmmm let'me wait a second until it recovers

Regular user: click, click, WTF, double click, triple click, WTF, WTF, click
until program crashes, WTF,OMG, complain all day

Trust me, I saw them in action :-)

So carefully exposing Scribus to regular DTP users, does for sure provide
interesting input and uncovers problems that could never be found otherwyse.

Best regards
Gustavo

--
Angulo S?lido - Tecnologias de Informa??o
http://angulosolido.pt