[Scribus] Printing tabloid landscape to Laserjet 5SiMx - Help!

John Jordan johnxj
Sat Mar 11 06:27:22 CET 2006

On 10 Mar 2006, at 23:29, Louis Desjardins wrote:

> Did you try the "stupid" trick : print in "portrait" mode... even
> though you want "landscape". If one doesn't work, maybe the other
> will. Sometimes strange things happen.

Good idea, and it almost worked! Except that now I realize that
printing from Scribus is even more screwed up than I thought.

This printer has a manual feed tray, two 500-sheet trays (tray 2 and
tray 3) and a 2000-sheet lower tray (tray 4). Tray 2 can handle only
letter or A4. The other trays can handle any paper that this printer
is designed for, including 11x17. Normally I print letter size, and if I
need to print 11x17 I usually use the manual feed tray. However,
the printer has various modes, one of which is "Auto." In Auto
mode the printer will pull paper from the tray with the lowest
number that has paper in it of the proper size for the print job. This
can be kind of confusing and I screw up a lot, so I developed the
habit a long time ago of leaving all trays ajar except the manual
feed tray, if I am using the manual feed tray.

So when I first tried to print this job I used the manual feed tray.
That's when it refused to print landscape. Applying your "stupid
trick" I tried again in portrait, but by that time I had already removed
the 11x17 from the manual feed tray and had pushed tray 2 back in
(which has letter size in it). So when I went to try the "stupid trick"
I decided just to go ahead and print it on letter size -- so what if it
prints just part of the page? It would be enough to see if the "stupid
trick" works.

And it did! The page came out in landscape.

So then I put the 11x17 back in the manual feed tray, opened tray
2, and resent the print job. Alas, it still printed portrait. So this tells
me that Scribus has the tray assignments screwed up. It thinks
tray 1 (manual feed) is portrait and there is nothing that will
convince it otherwise. For tray 2 it will accept software
assignments.

So then I took the 11x17 paper out of the manual feed tray and put
it in tray 3, leaving all other trays open. I resent the print job,
hoping that maybe it would print ok to tray 3. But the print job did
not come out, so I walked over and looked at the display. It was
flashing that tray 1 was empty. In other words, Scribus lists all the
trays this printer has, but it sends everything either to the manual
feed tray or to tray 2. The other tray options do not work. However,
I discovered that if I hit the Online button while it is flashing that the
manual feed tray is empty it asks if I want to print on 11x17
instead. If I tell it to go ahead it will then print from tray 3.
Nevertheless, it came out portrait.

I also opened up System > Administration > Printers and tried to
see if there were any settings in there. The only settings available
were some that were already in Scribus' print dialog box options.

I also tried tray 4. Again, it insists that tray 1 (manal feed) is
empty. And when I tell it to print on 11x17 instead it pulls it from
tray 4, but the output is still portrait. The only tray it will print
landscape from is tray 2, and that tray does not take larger sizes.

Man, this is hopelessly screwed up.

In the meantime, I exported as PDF and used PDF Viewer instead
of Adobe Reader. That finally got me landscape, although most of
the other CUPS options were not available. So the problem is in
Scribus or in CUPS.