[Scribus] OpenType layout

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue Mar 7 15:26:24 CET 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 15:13, Pierre Marchand wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I would like to know if someone works on opentype layout integration in
> Scribus.
> If not, as an "enthusiast", I began to write some code to provide an
> otlayout class -info and process. At first I tried with libotf but I
> couldn't perform "kern" lookup (but other features _seem_ to work well)
> and still wonder why.
> Consequently, I looked for another implementation
> of "otlayout":
>  -ICU, it's IBM stuff and surrounded by tons of words, so
> I didn't understand clearly what is it;
>  -FT1 otlayout :
>  --Pango, depends of Glib (but it's got a good integration with Cairo);
>  --Qt, it would be great if someone could figure how to access otlayout
> through Qt Hierarchy or at least if it's possible;
>  --HarfBuzz cvs, which seems to be the most up to date version of FT1
> otlayout (?).
> I took  the latter, and, after minor modifications and a new makefile,
> obtained a libotlayout.so. I now work on a more usefull otlayoutengine
> class, sort of OT_String class.
>
> Finally, my problems:
> 1. Is Scribus team interested in such help?
> 2. Is there an easy way to insert a "word rendering" step in Scribus
> layout engine in order to deviate from normal process in case of OT
> font?
> 3. If 1 and 2, a lot of questions...

Hi,

We have a new text system in development, with some changes already in CVS for
the new APIs, and 1.3.4cvs should see some major changes here, but we are not
yet sure how complete it will be before 1.3.4 is released.

It is a major change and we hope to bring in into being as smooth as possible
for the user, but it will be much different to now.

Andreas will surely reply and give you a better picture if he needs assistance
in certain areas.

thanks
Craig