[Scribus] OpenType layout

Pierre Marchand capparis
Tue Mar 7 15:13:56 CET 2006

Hi,

I would like to know if someone works on opentype layout integration in
Scribus.
If not, as an "enthusiast", I began to write some code to provide an
otlayout class -info and process. At first I tried with libotf but I
couldn't perform "kern" lookup (but other features _seem_ to work well)
and still wonder why.
Consequently, I looked for another implementation
of "otlayout":
 -ICU, it's IBM stuff and surrounded by tons of words, so
I didn't understand clearly what is it;
 -FT1 otlayout :
 --Pango, depends of Glib (but it's got a good integration with Cairo);
 --Qt, it would be great if someone could figure how to access otlayout
through Qt Hierarchy or at least if it's possible;
 --HarfBuzz cvs, which seems to be the most up to date version of FT1
otlayout (?).
I took  the latter, and, after minor modifications and a new makefile,
obtained a libotlayout.so. I now work on a more usefull otlayoutengine
class, sort of OT_String class.

Finally, my problems:
1. Is Scribus team interested in such help?
2. Is there an easy way to insert a "word rendering" step in Scribus
layout engine in order to deviate from normal process in case of OT
font?
3. If 1 and 2, a lot of questions...

--
Pierre Marchand
JabberId : capparis at im.apinc.org

Mar  7 14:31:20 localhost imapd: LOGIN, user=pierre,
ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], protocol=IMAP