[Scribus] OpenType layout

avox avox
Tue Mar 7 18:45:57 CET 2006

Pierre Marchand wrote:

> Finally, my problems:
> 1. Is Scribus team interested in such help?

Yes, in principle. Our problem is we already have an advanced (nonpublic)
branch of Scribus which is based on the Qt3 OTF code.

> 2. Is there an easy way to insert a "word rendering" step in Scribus
> layout engine in order to deviate from normal process in case of OT
> font?

The Scribus layout engine was rewritten from scratch. There is a separate
shaping step which already uses OTF.

Our current plan is to reorganize the interface to Scribus' text features
to make it easier to merge both branches. This merge will probably happen
in April or May.

What has to be done before is
a) Encapsulate all text accesses within Scribus (I've just begun with this)
b) Change the way Scribus stores characterstyles (partly done)
c) Write a better implementation of class Foi, which encapsulates Freetype
    access and should also support OTF and direct glyph access
d) Rewrite the current layout engine so it can be used as a compatibility
mode.
e) Improve the layout engine in the branch to support paragraphstyles.

Help is very much appreciated!
If you want to help out, contact me on #scribus on irc.freenode.net,
so we can discuss the best approach.

/Andreas