[Scribus] INkscape Friendly Linux Distribution _OT

Scott Karns scottkinsf
Sun Mar 5 02:12:48 CET 2006

--- Christoph Sch???fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Am Samstag, 4. M???rz 2006 23:24 schrieb John R.
> Culleton:
> > I have run Slackware since the floppy disk days
> but now it seems
> > to be running out of steam in the DTP area. In
> particular
> > several attempts to install Inkscape have failed.
> I know that
> > several users of Scribus also use Inkscape. So my
> question is:
> > whoat distro comes with Inkscape or is a capable
> host for
> > Inkscape? How about Debian?
> >
> > The distro would need to be Scribus friendly too
> of course.
>
> Hi John,
>
> AFAIK, any of the major distros (Fedora, SuSE,
> Debian, Mandriva ...) is
> shipped with Inkscape, Scribus, and GIMP. If you
> want to compile the most
> recent versions yourself, I wouldn't recommend
> Mandriva which doesn't take
> care of many standards and is therefore almost
> proprietary. Personally, I'm
> using SuSE which is quite user friendly, but has
> some quirks you have to live
> by. Others will recommend Fedora, Gentoo, or Debian
> for good reasons.
>
> As for Inkscape itself, there are static binaries
> for rpm-based distributions
> (SuSE, Fedora, Aurox, Mandriva) available. If you
> are using a Debian-based
> distro (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mepis ...), you can follow
> the instructions on this
> site to get Inkscape up and running on your machine:
> http://inkscape.org/download.php
>
> General recommendation: everything but
> Mandrake/Mandriva, Linspire, and Sun
> Java Desktop.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christoph

Not to start a flamewar, but I have used
Mandrake/Mandriva for almost 10 years now and have had
very few problems with it.

The current Mandriva release, 2006.0, comes with
inkscape-0.42 and scribus-1.3.0 -- not exactly
current, but I had no problem building inkscape-0.43
from the cooker source RPM. I have created a source
RPM for scribus-1.3.3cvs that I use on a regular basis
for building and testing the current, bleeding edge
version of scribus.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mand/riva
2006.0.

-Scott