[Scribus] INkscape Friendly Linux Distribution _OT

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sun Mar 5 00:45:47 CET 2006

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Am Samstag, 4. M?rz 2006 23:24 schrieb John R. Culleton:
>
>> I have run Slackware since the floppy disk days but now it seems
>> to be running out of steam in the DTP area. In particular
>> several attempts to install Inkscape have failed. I know that
>> several users of Scribus also use Inkscape. So my question is:
>> whoat distro comes with Inkscape or is a capable host for
>> Inkscape? How about Debian?
>>
>> The distro would need to be Scribus friendly too of course.
>>

> Hi John,
>
> AFAIK, any of the major distros (Fedora, SuSE, Debian, Mandriva ...) is
> shipped with Inkscape, Scribus, and GIMP. If you want to compile the most
> recent versions yourself, I wouldn't recommend Mandriva which doesn't take
> care of many standards and is therefore almost proprietary. Personally, I'm
> using SuSE which is quite user friendly, but has some quirks you have to live
> by. Others will recommend Fedora, Gentoo, or Debian for good reasons.

I use FC4 (Fedora Core 4) and as far as I know it doesn't "ship with"
Inkscape or Scribus, but you can easily install both with yum: eg, 'yum
install inkscape'.
If you're going to use a CVS version of Scribus (or Inkscape for that
matter), you can get all the "parts" you need to compile, again with yum.

Greg