[Scribus] INkscape Friendly Linux Distribution _OT

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sun Mar 5 02:33:17 CET 2006

Am Sonntag, 5. M?rz 2006 02:12 schrieb Scott Karns:
> --- Christoph Sch???fer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de>
>
> wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 4. M???rz 2006 23:24 schrieb John R.
> >
> > Culleton:
> > > I have run Slackware since the floppy disk days
> >
> > but now it seems
> >
> > > to be running out of steam in the DTP area. In
> >
> > particular
> >
> > > several attempts to install Inkscape have failed.
> >
> > I know that
> >
> > > several users of Scribus also use Inkscape. So my
> >
> > question is:
> > > whoat distro comes with Inkscape or is a capable
> >
> > host for
> >
> > > Inkscape? How about Debian?
> > >
> > > The distro would need to be Scribus friendly too
> >
> > of course.
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> > AFAIK, any of the major distros (Fedora, SuSE,
> > Debian, Mandriva ...) is
> > shipped with Inkscape, Scribus, and GIMP. If you
> > want to compile the most
> > recent versions yourself, I wouldn't recommend
> > Mandriva which doesn't take
> > care of many standards and is therefore almost
> > proprietary. Personally, I'm
> > using SuSE which is quite user friendly, but has
> > some quirks you have to live
> > by. Others will recommend Fedora, Gentoo, or Debian
> > for good reasons.
> >
> > As for Inkscape itself, there are static binaries
> > for rpm-based distributions
> > (SuSE, Fedora, Aurox, Mandriva) available. If you
> > are using a Debian-based
> > distro (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mepis ...), you can follow
> > the instructions on this
> > site to get Inkscape up and running on your machine:
> > http://inkscape.org/download.php
> >
> > General recommendation: everything but
> > Mandrake/Mandriva, Linspire, and Sun
> > Java Desktop.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Christoph
>
> Not to start a flamewar, but I have used
> Mandrake/Mandriva for almost 10 years now and have had
> very few problems with it.
>
> The current Mandriva release, 2006.0, comes with
> inkscape-0.42 and scribus-1.3.0 -- not exactly
> current, but I had no problem building inkscape-0.43
> from the cooker source RPM. I have created a source
> RPM for scribus-1.3.3cvs that I use on a regular basis
> for building and testing the current, bleeding edge
> version of scribus.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mand/riva
> 2006.0.
>
> -Scott

I didn't want to start a flamewar. I only described my own (and others)
experiences with Mandrake/Mandriva. Actually, I used to like Mandrake very
much as a user and especially newbie friendly distro. Personally, I have
bought at least four versions of Mandrake. For all those who simply want to
use their computer running Linux, Mandriva plus a Mandriva Club subscription
is a good choice. But compiling from sources not provided by cooker is a
mess.

Consequently, for those who want or need to do testing with bleeding edge
versions, it cannot be recommended IMHO.

Cheers,

Christoph