[Scribus] Again: Tutorial

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sat Jul 29 18:18:13 CEST 2006

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Am Samstag, 29. Juli 2006 12:06 schrieb Peter Nermander:
>
>> I really can't believe everybody is discussing the content of the document
>> to be used in the tutorial. As I see it it is totally irrelevant.
>>
> Hi Peter,
>
> you're a bit late to the discussion:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Get_Started_With_Scribus:Contributors
>
> And the content of the document _is_ important. It's quite a difference if you
> want to show Scribus' capabilities by creating an aesthetic layout or a set
> form, a poster or a magazine.

I've been analyzing Niyam's tutorial for the Wiki. It has its
detractions, it has its limitations, but what you see in the end in this
example is quite an array of demonstrated operations in Scribus. Until
you begin to see what it was that he did, you cannot see what he may
have not done or left out, or simply what might be improved upon.
Here is what I have so far:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/FreedomYUG_Tutorial_Demonstrated_Tasks
I think that many will agree that, aside from conversion/updating this
tutorial, there are other and more advanced features of Scribus which
also could and should be included, so ultimately we need to know what
this project lacks -- this may or may not be more pages, but it will
likely be more kinds of objects.
There is also some repetitiveness that /might/ be trimmed a bit, and
generally one could say that this is a literal, explicit project -- the
creativity is all Niyam's, so it comes out as "make this thing here,
with this content, this size and position, do it this way..." rather
than encouraging experimentation.

Greg