[Scribus] Text with explanatory images - who has a workflow tip?

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen
Wed Jul 26 12:37:34 CEST 2006

Am Wed, 26. July 2006 11:37 schrieb Cedric Sagne:
> All,
>
> I deal with a growing document (currently on OpenOffice) which is a
> technical manual. The text is strongly related to images (screenshots)
> describing.. what happens on the screen.
>
> I am not sure how to manage the growth of this document - especially the
> fact that with flowing text frames adding new text upstream will change the
> distribution of text/images all the way down. As it is not a static or
> finished (or even meant to be finished, ever) document it is not possible
> to import the text and then insert the images where they will go...
>
> I am considering using Scribus but am I actually better off staying with
> OpenOffice there? Because layout is really simple can someone let me know
> what advantages Scribus would have over OO there, if any?

I asume you have the documentation in a separate folder.
- put your images in a subfolder, e.g. pic
- export your OpenOffice.org  document to plain text,
  This may be an ascii file or a plain text OpenOffice.org file
- make a copy of your folder
- edit the plain text file,
  split it into seperate files,
  one file for each chapter
  (if neccesary a file for each (sub)subchapter, depends on the size of your
  chapters.
- export your tables to csv separated files or to html files
- open a new scribus file
- edit a front- and back-cover page, if needed also a second and a second last
  page
- edit a left and right page which has a standard frameset as you will need
  it, this will be a template for your following pages
- link each chapter file to a frame,
  or frameset if it don't fit into one frame
- place your images into image frames
- place your tables into frames

This is a (draft) workflow how I've migrated a technical documentation from
LyX/LaTeX to Framaker.

Over all I would only see a benefit doing this if it is a documentation which
will be used for a longer period of time, e.g. a year or two.

If it is a documentation which will be needed for a couple of years (more than
two) I would strongly recommend using LyX/LaTeX. This because the file
formats of office applications will change within a year or two. This is a
pitfall in the long run you can avoid by using LyX/LaTeX.

I have documentations which are more than seven years old. LaTeX hasn't
changed much over the years but I've seen a lot of new office application
file formats comming up and passing away meanwhile.

A strong argument for using a DTP application as Scribus is its strength if
you want your document have some nifty eye candy, eg. shaded or inverted text
(for chapter titles), 90? rotated text boxes at at a side of the page, faded
images, ...

In short, everything which needs a flexible and highly configurable placement
of content is an argument for using a DTP application.

Everything which is focused on informational content in a first place is an
argument for using LyX/LaTeX, especially if you will keep such files for a
long lasting period of time.

regards,
thomas