[Scribus] Improving Scribus Wiki (once again)

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Jul 26 01:57:15 CEST 2006

Hi Brian,

Am Mittwoch, 26. Juli 2006 01:18 schrieb Brian Astill:
> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 00:05, MaHan wrote:
> > Brian, please let me hear your suggestions to improve
> > Scribus Wiki's usability. What do you miss?
>
> In a word - no, sorry, several :-) - a decent search engine.
> Your suggestion of:
> http://www.scribus.net/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=4&page
>=1 or this one:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Getting_Scribus_on_Ubuntu/Kubuntu_up_and_
>running
>
> is fine _if_you_know_where_to_look_.

The Wiki has a search engine, and, in case you read my last reply, there is
one for the list as well. I also inserted "scribus-ng" into the "Search"
field on www.scribus.net, and it lead me exactly to where you probably wanted
to be. Try yourself. The problem is, the list, the docs, and the wiki live
more or less separate lives, because the methods of access and contribution
are different.

> I think it was the docs search which INSISTED on putting a space
> between "scribus" and "-" so I couldn't look for "scribus-ng" but
> only for "scribus".
> Try looking for something about wrapping text around image frames,
> using any term you can think of.

Test: I inserted the word wrap into the Wiki's search field. First result:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/How_to_wrap_text_around_frames_or_images

And on the Main Page, I found, without having to search for hours:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Working_with_text_frames, an excellent
introduction to this issue.

> I found this a fruitless task.
> (I have since played with 1.3.3.2 and found it in properties)
> I found the docs.scribus.net to be well laid out but not useful
> for anything beyond THE simplest things.

Actually, the problem of the docs is that they _don't_ cover the simple
things, but start right away with pre-press ;) Extremely useful, but of
limited help for newbies.

> The wiki uses a logic
> with which I am not familiar, but a good search engine would
> solve that problem.  The mail archive appears not to have a
> search facility at all.

See above and my previous answer.

> Only guessing, but my feeling is that if good search facilities
> were in those three areas much angst and "newbie questions" on
> this list would vanish.

"Angst"? Come on! Newbie questions are very welcome and will be answered
immediately, as long as they aren't presented as offending rants. There are
lots of people who will gladly and patiently answer each question. You only
have to ask :)

Cheers,

Christoph