[Scribus] It's what people don't tell you... (WAS: Re: Why do?)

Allen techwriter
Tue Jul 25 22:08:40 CEST 2006

Craig,

I'm sure you get many compliments. I have not doubt whatsoever,
however.... Well, it's like this, most people won't tell you there is a
problem, they'll just go away. I personally know 3 people who tried to
use Scribus and dumped it. I thought it was just because they were Linux
kernel coders, SMTP experts, and C++ programmers that there heads were
not screwed on the right way to understand a frames based DTP program.
When my friend Bob, the kernel level coder, talked about a book he and a
team or programmers were doing about Linux appliances, he mentioned the
difficulties he'd had doing it in Scribus. I commiserated with him and
decided to try it to see if it was truly as bad/difficult to understand
as he said, which is why I'm here.

I know for a fact he and his partners never wrote any notes to the
Scribus team about their problems, they just moved on and tried DocBook,
which they abandoned shortly before settling on a combination of AbiWord
and OpenOffice.

How many others have done the same? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Best,

Allen