[Scribus] It's what people don't tell you... (WAS: Re: Why do?)

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Jul 25 22:50:30 CEST 2006

Hi Allen,

Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2006 22:08 schrieb Allen:
> Craig,

Your message was directed at Craig, but let me insert my thoughts anyway:

> I'm sure you get many compliments. I have not doubt whatsoever,
> however.... Well, it's like this, most people won't tell you there is a
> problem, they'll just go away.

What do you suggest to change this attitude? At least in my eyes that's an
attitude. If In don't like a product I can throw it away and use another one.
OR I can, at least in FOSS, try to influence the development by making
(hopefully well-founded) suggestions. Most FOSS projects can't do market
research, they really need feedback from users.

> I personally know 3 people who tried to
> use Scribus and dumped it. I thought it was just because they were Linux
> kernel coders, SMTP experts, and C++ programmers that there heads were
> not screwed on the right way to understand a frames based DTP program.
> When my friend Bob, the kernel level coder, talked about a book he and a
> team or programmers were doing about Linux appliances, he mentioned the
> difficulties he'd had doing it in Scribus. I commiserated with him and
> decided to try it to see if it was truly as bad/difficult to understand
> as he said, which is why I'm here.
>
> I know for a fact he and his partners never wrote any notes to the
> Scribus team about their problems, they just moved on and tried DocBook,
> which they abandoned shortly before settling on a combination of AbiWord
> and OpenOffice.

DocBook, AbiWord, OpenOffice.org! It seems Scribus just wasn't the right tool
for the job. I assume, Quark or InDesign wouldn't have suited their needs
either. Basically, you are telling the developers (again) that they code the
wrong piece of software.

> How many others have done the same? Inquiring minds would like to know.

How many babies have never been born? What would be the value of the answer?
Would it be of interest for "inquiring minds"?.

> Best,
>
> Allen

Cheers,

Christoph