[Scribus] Why do?

Brian Astill bastill
Tue Jul 25 15:30:05 CEST 2006

On Sunday 23 July 2006 23:39, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> I strongly suggest you try to read at
> least some of the documentation on docs.scribus.net and
> wiki.scribus.net.

Look, that sounds like such sensible advice - but I found the wiki
quite unfathomable and the docs were neither comprehensible nor
searchable using terms simple souls like me understand.

For example, I looked in the mailing list archive (which doesn't
appear to be searchable) for a thread/message about scribus-ng.
I looked in the wiki and in FAQs and docs. Two fruitless hours
later, I took a wild guess that scribus-ng would NOT overwrite
scribus and thank goodness that worked.
I now have 1.3.3.2 to play with and 1.2.5 as a stable platform to
make my newsletters with, while I learn about 1.3.3.2.

That columns thingo - thanks for the where-to-find - is buried in
[properties - shape - distance of text - columns] which ain't
intuitive!
I also noticed a selection "Text flows around frame" which sounds
like wrapping around/through/whatever in a wordprocessor, which
is exactly what I was searching for recently in the docs/wiki and
couldn't find.  I played around and it seems to work for an
image, but not (yet?) for a text frame.

I guess what I'm trying to point out is that BandiPat's issues are
real for someone (like me) new to scribus and that - for us - the
online docs and wiki won't always help.

--
Regards,
Brian