[Scribus] Why do?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sun Jul 23 22:58:32 CEST 2006

Am Sonntag, 23. Juli 2006 22:38 schrieb Allen:
> Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Pat,
> >
> > before you continue with your rants, I strongly suggest you try to read
> > at least some of the documentation on docs.scribus.net and
> > wiki.scribus.net. It seems you have missed one essential part of Scribus'
> > ui "philosophy", namely the properties palette (F2 or right click >
> > properties). If you play around with it a bit, you will see most if not
> > all of your issues disappear. I also recommend you to have a look at the
> > three major commercial DTP programs QuarkXPress, InDesign, and PageMaker
> > instead of some exotics. People who switch from any of those to Scribus,
> > usually have few to no difficulties in using the program.
>
> Christoph,
>
> I'm a highly skilled Framemaker user, though only a moderately skilled
> PageMaker user, and I find Scribus totally non-intuitive.

That's sad, but FrameMaker is a different kind of animal. Quark, PM, ID and
company are the relatives of Scribus. If you are used to them, you should be
able to do your work easily after a short time.

> I've invested
> about 20 hours in reading the docs and the wiki, but it has not proved
> to be very useful in actually getting Scribus to work as the docs are
> out of sync with what I mistakenly though was the right one to download,
> the 1.3x not the 1.2x.

Yes, the docs aren't completely up-to-date, but the basic working principles
haven't changed that much between 1.2x and 1.3x, and Pat was talking about
newbies. Also, expect some relief regarding documentation soon.

> 1.2x is missing too many things to be very useful
> to me.

If your tool of choice is FrameMaker, definitely, if you use all the bells and
whistles of QXP and ID, also.

> I suspect that I will do the same as a friend did, pass on
> Scribus until 1.4x and the doc set has caught up.

Maybe you can pay Scribus a visit every now and then before 1.4, just to tell
the developers what you think should be improved :)

> Best,
>
> Allen

Cheers,

Christoph