[Scribus] Why do?

BandiPat magicpage91
Tue Jul 25 03:11:32 CEST 2006

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Craig Bradney wrote:
>

>> Yes.. like.. command backspace is somehow related to delete when wanting to
>> delete a file in finder. The trash is a pretty icon but slow.. now, just
>> imagine they thought to use the "delete" key for deleting a file, now
>> wouldn't that be clever!
>>

> Like the poor support for context menus, that's a historical artifact.
> Apple pushed for *years* (may still be pushing) for keyboards with no
> key pad, no delete key, etc. That's why they label backspace "delete"
> ... they didn't have a delete key.
>
> Since backspace is used when renaming files, one wouldn't want to
> accidentally move one to the trash instead of remove a char from its
> name. So they decided to use command backspace.
>
> Once again, it all comes down to the hardware decisions. Like the
> `Eject' key that's been appearing and vanishing off Apple keyboards for
> years, depending on whether or not they feel like blocking the
> floppy/CD-ROM eject button today.
>
> Anyway, I like your original post. A good point well made and mostly
> missed I fear.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

Your descriptions of the Apple have caused me to remember things from
the earlier Macs.  There use to be a joke about why you didn't see many
Mac users on IRC and chat areas.  Because they had to type.  :-)

Doesn't sound like they have gotten away from that too much, from what
you guys have described.

An Intel Mac?!?  Craig, what were you thinking?

Pat

--
          ---SuSE Linux v10.1---
        Registered Linux User #225206