[Scribus] Why do?

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Jul 25 02:57:47 CEST 2006

Craig Bradney wrote:

> Yes.. like.. command backspace is somehow related to delete when wanting to
> delete a file in finder. The trash is a pretty icon but slow.. now, just
> imagine they thought to use the "delete" key for deleting a file, now
> wouldn't that be clever!

Like the poor support for context menus, that's a historical artifact.
Apple pushed for *years* (may still be pushing) for keyboards with no
key pad, no delete key, etc. That's why they label backspace "delete"
... they didn't have a delete key.

Since backspace is used when renaming files, one wouldn't want to
accidentally move one to the trash instead of remove a char from its
name. So they decided to use command backspace.

Once again, it all comes down to the hardware decisions. Like the
`Eject' key that's been appearing and vanishing off Apple keyboards for
years, depending on whether or not they feel like blocking the
floppy/CD-ROM eject button today.

Anyway, I like your original post. A good point well made and mostly
missed I fear.

--
Craig Ringer