[Scribus] RE : Re: Why do?

BandiPat magicpage91
Mon Jul 24 15:07:06 CEST 2006

Jean Basile wrote:
> --- BandiPat <magicpage91 at earthlink.net> a ?crit :
>
>> The learning curve for a new user will be steep in
>> learning *all* the
>> features a DTP program has to offer, but, shouldn't
>> it be possible to
>> use it productively the moment it opens on the
>> screen?  Yes and without
>>

> >From my experience I can tell you: the answer should
> be 'NO'. They have Word or Published for 'intuitive'
> and 'home made' designs. With lots of templates and
> lots of cute features. And I seriously hope scribus
> won't even think turning that way.
>
> The people who don't bother to read the manual, read
> the propper documentation and do some research on
> their own do depend on all those nice wizards and
> autotools. And they will _always_ make terrible
> mistakes regarding the layout. If you don't believe me
> you can go the logical way: Mr. X is too busy to read
> the manual and howtos regarding DTP. Mr. X will have
> even less time to read about how things are readable
> on print. Double that with the fact that Mr. X
> probably thinks he is too much of an artist to bother
> with the technical guide and you'll have a terrible
> design - all made with .... (insert DTP app of
> choice).
>

>> impossible task.  If a user is vaguely familar with
>> the OS, several
>> programs, including a word processor, then they
>> should be able to use a
>> DTP program from the get go.  Not access the many
>>

> If the user if vaguely familiar with the word
> processor he should stick to that choice. After all
> two-three colums layout can be done easily and he will
> feel at home with things like you asked before
> (backgrounds for example). Regarding my previous post
> - don't ask Photoshop to work like Paint just because
> Joe Unknown wants to boast Photoshop experience.
>

>> Sure there have been in the past more so than now
>> Michael, but the lines
>> are growing more invisible every day.  There is no
>> reason a program
>> can't be easy to use and still be powerful.  Where
>>

> You can use a knife as a screwdriver if you like. And
> in case the knife is the only thing you have it will
> be your best choice. That doesn't mean that User W is
> right when starts with a proposal that instead of a
> handler the knife should have a screwdriver so you
> won't forget the screwdriver the next time you have to
> use the knife instead.
>
> The main idea is the right tool for the right job.
> >From the comments I read about it's all about the ease
> of use for a regular user (and this is a tool NOT for
> the regular user) and about how much should scribus
> behave like Word. Have you tried Open Office Writer?
> Maybe it is a lot better for your job.
>
> Jean

==============

Jean,
Do you hear yourself?  Do any of you read what you wrote after you wrote
it?  I can't believe you have!  You are actually defending the myth that
software programs have to be difficult if they are to be worth
anything!  Where do archaic ideas like that come from and how do they
still exist today?

Totally in awe,
Pat

--