[Scribus] Why do?

Allen techwriter
Mon Jul 24 04:34:57 CEST 2006

Hi Andreas,

I would never schmooze you when it comes to serious stuff like making
software really work.

I either misunderstood or misread the way the software was listed and
did not realize the 1.3x branch was beta. So the first hint would be to
make it much clearer on the download page. Frankly I'd have the beta
download on a separate page like most of the projects do.

Another tip is to create a map (diagram) of every option's location (use
a number as a fixed key) first so that a short description can be used
to understand what the idea of the option is. Then the number comes into
play so if it is renamed or when it gets moved it can be found again.
Stumbling though nested menus is no fun without a cheat sheet.

The number could also be referenced in the docs even if there is nothing
much written yet. This kind of placeholder, with an added date, means
that you won't miss updating the docs when the function changes.

BTW, I could not agree more with your complaint about some "pro" user
docs. Most of the time they are an afterthought and written by an
engineer. I've had my share of attempting to understand what is not
included because "...everyone knows that...." It's not that engineers
don't understand what they are doing, rather it is that they have not
studied how to convey information to people, a much more complex and
frustrating experience than doing the same to a machine. The productions
runs are so much smaller and the API are not well documented for the
cellular computers compared to the silicon computers. ;->

Allen