[Scribus] Why do?

avox avox
Sun Jul 23 23:31:38 CEST 2006

Allen-16 wrote:

> Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> As for the rest, the learning curve for scribus is as flat as it can be
>> for a
>> DTP program. Serious DTP isn't trivial, and most of the difficulties for
>> newbies arise from
>
> Christoph,
>
> I beg to differ. I've been using typesetting and layout programs since
> the Compugraphic and the 8088. Scribus is harder to get going in than
> any other DTP or layout program I've used in 20+ years. It's like an HP
> calculator compared to a TI 20 years ago. It works, I guess, but
> intuitive it is not. I wasn't taught that way so it's hard to relate to.
> The docs are hard to follow and there is not much in the way of real
> world examples to work through to get your head around it.
>
> I'm sorry, but as a very new, but skilled DTP, Scribus user, I have to
> agree with Pat.

Cool, finally someone not schmoozing us ;-).

I think we developers know that usability of Scribus still has to be
improved,
especially in the text area. Detailed proposals are more than welcome.

1.3.x is a development version, which means that new features often appear
at
some strange place and move to a logical place only later. Hints are
welcome!

I also agree that the online docs are not as structured and complete as one
would expect from a commercial program. They still -- and in this they are
much better than some professional docs -- give a good overview to DTP
workflows and good introductions to some DTP specific problems. I do hope
that the Scribus book will provide a good and more complete documentation in
the future.

Finally, if you have suggestions for improving usability, just file an issue
on
bugs.scribus.net. We are looking forward to it.

Cheers
/Andreas