[Scribus] Why do?

Allen techwriter
Sun Jul 23 22:38:50 CEST 2006

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
[snip]
> Pat,
>
> before you continue with your rants, I strongly suggest you try to read at
> least some of the documentation on docs.scribus.net and wiki.scribus.net. It
> seems you have missed one essential part of Scribus' ui "philosophy", namely
> the properties palette (F2 or right click > properties). If you play around
> with it a bit, you will see most if not all of your issues disappear. I also
> recommend you to have a look at the three major commercial DTP programs
> QuarkXPress, InDesign, and PageMaker instead of some exotics. People who
> switch from any of those to Scribus, usually have few to no difficulties in
> using the program.

Christoph,

I'm a highly skilled Framemaker user, though only a moderately skilled
PageMaker user, and I find Scribus totally non-intuitive. I've invested
about 20 hours in reading the docs and the wiki, but it has not proved
to be very useful in actually getting Scribus to work as the docs are
out of sync with what I mistakenly though was the right one to download,
the 1.3x not the 1.2x. 1.2x is missing too many things to be very useful
to me. I suspect that I will do the same as a friend did, pass on
Scribus until 1.4x and the doc set has caught up.

Best,

Allen