[Scribus] Why do?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sun Jul 23 18:09:41 CEST 2006

Am Sonntag, 23. Juli 2006 17:37 schrieb BandiPat:
> Riku Leino wrote:
> > On 7/23/06, *BandiPat* <magicpage91 at earthlink.net
> > <mailto:magicpage91 at earthlink.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     Even if you were able to create two from there, what bloody control
> > do you have with them in the main window?!?  There is no mention of
> > columns
> >     or anything related in the menus of the main window!  What the
> >     heck were
> >     you developers thinking about with all this?
> >

> > Please behave and go to your properties palette's shape tab.
>
> ==========
>
> Riku
> I'm not trying to misbehave, believe me.  I just think total frustration
> has set in trying to figure out simple things like columns, cutting &
> pasting and line spacing to mention a few.  Yes, I looked at the
> Properties box, found the columns under the shape tab.  This of course
> doesn't show up until you have created a text frame, why?

Because columns are a feature of text frames, just as in QuarkXPress.

> Shouldn't I
> have, in the menu, a selection to create columns on a blank page with no
> text frames?

Not necessarily. In Scribus, you use guides for that purpose. This approach
gives you more control over your layout than some automagick.

> Once the columns are specified, either in a new page setup
> or from a new text frame using the Properties box, where the heck are my
> columns?  That's right, hidden somewhere deep in that text frame with
> only slight indicators in the ruler of their existence and that's if you
> have the text tool selected!

Yes, because they only exist in text frames. 1.3.4 already has additional
indicators for cloumns. For "page columns" you need guides, and these guides
are visible.

> How intuitive is that?

It's only unintuitive if you are used to software with automagic.

> Not very and I've been around the block a few
> times with DTP programs, but I digress.  Where's my control over the
> columns now?

In the properties palette.

> Why can't I start text in the second column before I fill
> up the first?

You confuse a text frame split into columns with page columns, see above.

> Why can't I move my columns separately or adjust their
> size independently of each other?

Moving would make no sense, see above. Setting indivdual column sizes is on
the developers' to-do-list. Be patient.

> Where's my user control of
> typesetting?

Properties palette, paragraph styles.

> That's what DTP is all about, control.

Exactly, and with the exception of yet-to-come character styles and some other
features, Scribus gives you almost complete control over your document, at
the expense of less automagic, see above.

> Control of text,
> images, arrangement, flow, etc. etc.  Having the Properties box open
> allows some of that, but most new users don't know about that.

That's what the docs and the Wiki are for.

> Should
> it be opened when the program starts or should that control be
> integrated into the menu or a floating tool box always opened?  I admit,
> I'm looking at the program with some renewed interest and a fresh view
> as many of you should as well, then you might not overlook things that
> need attention.
>
> Pat

Christoph