[Scribus] Why do?

BandiPat magicpage91
Sun Jul 23 20:52:59 CEST 2006

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> [...](stripped text to later show up in unseen columns)   ;-)
> That's what the docs and the Wiki are for.
>
> Christoph

==========
Christoph,
If I wanted to use QuarkXpress, I'd buy it, but for the same reason many
of the users of Scribus don't or have defected from it, I don't want
Scribus to be become it!  Now certainly you're not going to please all
of the people all of the time or even some of the time, but for the same
reason I don't want my Linux acting like Windows, I also don't want my
programs acting like another program.  Copied, look alikes shouldn't be
Scribus'  goals.  But good DTP, typesetting control and easy to use
should be.  If I wanted difficult, I'd use TeX or LaTeX or one of the
old Unix programs.  Intuitive, easy to use the moment it starts up and
still powerful.  Yep, that's what Scribus should be and what I thought
it was going to be starting out.

I use guides to make columns on a blank page?  I didn't see anything in
the menu of guides that mentioned columns?  I'm being silly now, I think
I know what you mean.  Use the visible guides on the page to draw out
separate text frames to make columns?  Automagick?  Yes I want
automagick, wherever it can be used!  Other DTP programs used it, even
early ones, so why is it taboo for Scribus?  Like I said I don't want
LaTeX, I want a good gui with easy & powerful features!

Page columns, text frame columns, why can't I have both?  Why can't I
automatically create them from the menu for either or add more from the
Properties box?  And shouldn't I be able to specify wheither they are
linked there too?  Yes, of course, I should.

Ok, so you do admit also it's unintuitive.  Thanks for that, although
I'm sure you didn't mean to do that.  If you like programs that are
difficult to use, more power to you, but I as many others prefer not to
have to read through reams of paper or wiki or whatever just to start
using a program with a good gui.  Put yourself in their place for a few
moments, then you may be more objective about it all.

It seems there are still many features involving columns to come, as you
point out, so I guess I just didn't understand where the program had
progressed already.  I expected something else, something more I suppose
at this version and was disappointed.  It's not the first time I've been
disappointed nor will it be the last, I'll get over this disappointment
too and continue to find things to fix or change in it.  :-)

regards,
Pat

--
          ---SuSE Linux v10.1---