[Scribus] changed since it morphed into...

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Jul 18 01:11:16 CEST 2006

Am Dienstag, 18. Juli 2006 00:12 schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> Allen wrote:
> > Brief example. There is no documented process to migrate from Outlook
> > 2002 to Outlook 2003. They changed the file structure, locations and
> > naming. It is so bad that Microsloth had to give a freebie to a client
> > of mine when it came time to migrate. It probably cost them 6 or 7 hours
> > of tier two support to solve the problem only partially. My client is
> > now much more willing to look at alternatives, but..., well, when she
> > looked at what she'd have to learn and what she'd have to do to
> > communicate with with her clients who are still in the Windoze world,
> > she passed. She's in her mid fifties and really only wants to do the
> > build outs for facilities moves, not spend her time learning computers.
>
> But try this antidote...
> One of the things we are learning about the brain which impacts all of
> us, whether we're in our fifties or not, is that an important way to
> keep your brain healthy is to continue all of your life to challenge
> yourself to learn new things. About the time we begin to say, "well,
> I've had enough new stuff, I'm just going to stick with what I'm
> familiar with," our brains begin to shrink as we miss opportunities to
> show ourselves that we're not all washed up and ready to start shopping
> for a funeral plot. The nice thing about Linux is that it let's you
> learn about it, doesn't try to keep you from learning anything, even if
> that's cmake.

CMake may not be the best example here since it's so much easier to learn and
use than automake :) And then there's the speed issue. In automake, you
run ./configure + options and ... wait. In case you are testing Scribus cvs,
you even have to run make -f before. With CMake, you run cmake + options,
count one, two, th... done! Anyone who has already bitten his keyboard due to
some inexplicable behaviour of automake, will never, ever want to look back
after using CMake.

> And chase it down with this one...
> It seems strange to me to hear story after story of the ongoing agonies
> of putting up with all the hassles of Windows, yet even if someone from
> Microsoft broke into homes and smashed computers to bits,

WGA?

> the reaction
> is still, "I guess that means I'll have to buy the next version of
> Windows."

And in case of Vista a new computer with hardware requirements that will make
a heating installation dispensable.

> Greg

Christoph