[Scribus] Announce 1.2.5 Release

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue Jul 18 00:00:42 CEST 2006

> Sorry about the length but as a new user of Scribus who is very skilled
> at Framemaker, I find it somewhat disheartening when I see posts like
> some I've seen to John's post.
>
> Best to you and yours,
>
> Allen

Hi Allen,

I'd agree if we were talking about the Scribus application, however we are
talking about the build system. Most people who use Scribus do not build it
themselves. Most people who do, have run into issues at times, some of them
with autotools and all of that system.

Most have been helped by us, and our documentation, in particular on
docs.scribus.net under:
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=install
and
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=install1
and subsequent pages.

You can rest assured that:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Building_1.3.4cvs_or_higher_with_CMake
will be converted into the documentation on docs.scribus.net before the 1.3.4
release.

I do not think there will be many issues with a change to an outdated,
unforgiving and largely undocumented (for mortals) build system to one that
is none of those things (so far), and is well supported. Believe me when I
say that *we* don't even understand the autotools build system we inherited a
long time ago. We now have a system that, for example, Peter who is not a
coder at all, who can read and easily understand most of it. It is a breeze
to work with, and the support from the KitWare guys could not be better.

Regards
Craig