[Scribus] Announce 1.2.5 Release

Allen techwriter
Mon Jul 17 23:41:02 CEST 2006

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the clear explanation of the why of the change. I didn't see
John's post as FUD, but rather concern for potential confusion in the
road to getting more and more people to adopt open source software.

I like to apply what I call the 85 year rule to change. Will the
benefits be sufficient when placed against the need of the end user to
learn yet another protocol/methodology? Is is simple enough that my 85
year old mother, who had a minor stroke a few months ago, can use it?

Alas, truly competent computer experts are few and far between. I know a
fair bit, but I'm not at the level of the people who code Scribus by a
long way. However, I can tell you a lot about the way people comprehend
the user interface and documentation and how end users fail to grasp
what is obvious to coders. Coding that creates software that most people
can not grasp or easily use is a waste of effort and gives open source
software the same black eye that Microsloth has been getting recently
from end users.

Brief example. There is no documented process to migrate from Outlook
2002 to Outlook 2003. They changed the file structure, locations and
naming. It is so bad that Microsloth had to give a freebie to a client
of mine when it came time to migrate. It probably cost them 6 or 7 hours
of tier two support to solve the problem only partially. My client is
now much more willing to look at alternatives, but..., well, when she
looked at what she'd have to learn and what she'd have to do to
communicate with with her clients who are still in the Windoze world,
she passed. She's in her mid fifties and really only wants to do the
build outs for facilities moves, not spend her time learning computers.

John, I think, and I are sort of between the two worlds so we can see
both sides to the problem.

Sorry about the length but as a new user of Scribus who is very skilled
at Framemaker, I find it somewhat disheartening when I see posts like
some I've seen to John's post.

Best to you and yours,

Allen