[Scribus] Scribus 1.3.2 on FreeBSD

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Jan 24 22:08:37 CET 2006

Mark Nowiasz wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 24.01.2006, 13:27 -0500 schrieb Candee Hellberg:
>> Thanks Craig - that is what I thought. It sounds like we may be able to use
>> the tool in the near future when we begin moving forward into XML documents,
>> but for now, I am looking for something that provides the same capabilities
>> as FrameMaker, since that is what the Technical Writers on my team are used
>> to using. None of them like the dual-editor/layout capabilities of PageMaker
>> or Quark; it is too time consuming when you have very short timelines for
>> producing your manuals and user guides.
>
> To be honest, I wouldn't use a DTP program for writing manuals, user
> guides or books - I myself would use LaTeX for that purpose instead.

Yep. That's very clearly LaTeX or FrameMaker territory. Scribus may one
day be able to fit FrameMaker's role, but thus far the design of it is
not focused in that direction.

I know one person who has recently begun using OpenOffice instead of
FrameMaker (as OO.o has the conditional text features etc that they
need, plus others FrameMaker doesn't offer) but they still find it way
slower and more painful. So for now, TeX or FrameMaker are the choices
for technical documentation.

--
Craig Ringer