[Scribus] Crash and export problems.

Calum Polwart scribus
Tue Jan 17 20:28:58 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 19:08 +0000, Calum Polwart wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 17:12 +0100, Mark Nowiasz wrote:
>
> > Am Dienstag, den 17.01.2006, 16:57 +0100 schrieb Thomas R. Koll:
> >
> > > it does, there are .sla.bak and .sla.emergency files. maybe you
> > > have to switch some option in the preferences for the bak-files.
> >
> > Yup, autosave - I forgot to enable. Nevertheless, it's not a good idea
> > to save the document in an emergency situation.. and I had
> > no .emergency-File.

Categorically disagree... Its a dmaned fantastic idea to save the
docuemnt in an emergency.  After a crash you are left with three files
(if you have all the crash proofing on!):

document.sla
document.sla.bak
document.sla.emergency

I usuall then rename document.sla.emergency to document-1.sla and work
from that.  I've NEVER had a corrupted emergency save and its saved me
loads of re-working... your original document.sla or document.sla.bak
should work fine (a developer will tell you which order scribus saves
in... ..but the emergency file is created following a crash so can't see
why you wouldn't want it... ...worst case the emergency file is broken -
you'll still be able to go back to where you last saved using one of the
other two files.  If not then I suspect its the original file that's
corrupt and perhaps caused the crash.

> > > Forget about the jpg-thing, the font will never look good.
> >
> > Well, unfortunately it's not for me to decide - I totally agree, but the
> > printer expects jpeg.

Change printer!  No self respecting printer asks for JPEG.  PDF yes,
JPEG No!

> > > isn't there a pdfmerge?
> > > export the pages a single pages and merge them in the wished order.
> > > make a shell-script so you don't have to retype every month or so...
> >
> > Ahhh.. thanks :-)

I don't think pdfmerge achieve's what you want (but I may be wrong - I
don't have it installed so can't try - and am going with limited docs.)

pdfmerge appears to take page 1, page 5, Page 7 and page 15 for instance
and put them in whatever order you tell it to - eg 7, 15, 1, 5... but
you'll still have 4 separate pages.  I think from your description you
want to put two pages onto one bigger sheet (i.e. 2 x A5 onto an A4 or 2
x A4 onto A3 and to have the pages appropriately sequenced....)  That is
basically two steps - and psbook just does those two in one move.  I
think pstop sequences the pages (would need to check, but that's the
same as pdfmerge) and psnup puts two pages onto one page...

How big is the original pdf?  There is no sensible reason why re-
ordering a pdf and putting it as 2-up should produce a much bigger
pdf... unless a subsetting like -re-sample images is set...?

Calum