[Scribus] Fit Text to Frame? Shadow? Where Are The Artsy Features?

Q IP quip.mail
Mon Jan 16 15:15:30 CET 2006

Hi:

First let me say that I think the Scribus team is doing an incredible job to
produce a layout program with high potential.  Thank you, all.

Okay: I'm an OpenOffice.org Draw user and have been for about a year.  I
employ that software in laying out one-page advertisements which are then
printed on professional presses, so the inadequacy of Draw for CMYK work and
soft proofing soon became painfully obvious.  Scribus looked like the ticket
to me--and still does, to some extent.  However, there are certain key
features in Draw that don't appeared to be mirrored in Scribus... ones I
really may not be able to live without.  Perhaps they're being added now or
I just can't find them.  Anyway, here goes:

- Fit Text to Frame:
Draw has a smiple way to set the attributes of a text frame so that the text
will scale to whatever size the frame is without regard to pt-sizing.
Infinitely useful when I have an odd space to fill with certain words.

- Shadow:
Maybe I'm missing something, but there doesn't appear to be any kind of
"shadow" effect in Scribus for text!

There are other features I would like to see in the program, but for now
please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree, missing what's under my
nose, or just need to be patient.

One more thing:  When I set a large font size and try to do a text box with
multiple lines, the text on the top line overlaps those below. Now on this
one I'm quite sure it's just user error.  Please help me.

Thanks,
kenquad