[Scribus] Status of Indic language support in Scribus (Gora Mohanty)

Steven Boothe steven.boothe
Thu Feb 2 18:30:21 CET 2006

Sukhi Venkat (TnQ) wrote:
> Gora Mohanty wrote Thu, 2 Feb 2006 05:47:39 +0000 (GMT):
>
>> Yeah, but that is hardly enough to implement an AAT font, let alone a
>> rendering engine. Nor do I see from that article a reason why this is
>> advantageous to OpenType, something which Apple promised to support but
>> apparently does not adequately do so. I was approached by someone who
>> wanted to implement Indic fonts in AAT, and he uses a trial-and-error
>> method based on copying rules from existing fonts, which is a rather
>> laborious and error-prone method for Indic fonts. Currently, I see no
>> reason for the open-source world to try to support AAT.
>>

>   You may be right. I am in the early stages of my education about fonts
> and the cavalier way the renderer works with them.
>
>> Well, if the particular representation is still in use, the bug could
>> be fixed. Could you submit a more complete report, including the set of
>> Unicode input characters, a picture of the expected output, and, if
>> possible, a picture of what you actually get from Pango, ICU, or QT?
>
>> It would be great if you could list these by the Unicode input
>> sequence, and maybe someone can take a look at them. It would be
>> even better if you would be willing to help out in putting together
>> a comprehensive set of conjuncts, and a complete glyph repository
>> for Tamil.
>
> I will do that!
>
> May be we will continue the discussion directly, off the scribus
> list, since others may not find it very interesting!

But I'm interested! :) Still, maybe the discussion is not specifically
germane to Scribus, so if you do decide to take the discussion
"off-list" could you please include my email address in the loop?

Thanks!

Steven