[Scribus] Status of Indic language support in Scribus (Gora Mohanty)

MaHan ma_han2000
Thu Feb 2 18:59:04 CET 2006

--- Steven Boothe <steven.boothe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sukhi Venkat (TnQ) wrote:
> > Gora Mohanty wrote Thu, 2 Feb 2006 05:47:39 +0000
> (GMT):
> >
> >> Yeah, but that is hardly enough to implement an
> AAT font, let alone a
> >> rendering engine. Nor do I see from that article
> a reason why this is
> >> advantageous to OpenType, something which Apple
> promised to support but
> >> apparently does not adequately do so. I was
> approached by someone who
> >> wanted to implement Indic fonts in AAT, and he
> uses a trial-and-error
> >> method based on copying rules from existing
> fonts, which is a rather
> >> laborious and error-prone method for Indic fonts.
> Currently, I see no
> >> reason for the open-source world to try to
> support AAT.
> >>

> >   You may be right. I am in the early stages of my
> education about fonts
> > and the cavalier way the renderer works with them.
> >
> >> Well, if the particular representation is still
> in use, the bug could
> >> be fixed. Could you submit a more complete
> report, including the set of
> >> Unicode input characters, a picture of the
> expected output, and, if
> >> possible, a picture of what you actually get from
> Pango, ICU, or QT?
> >
> >> It would be great if you could list these by the
> Unicode input
> >> sequence, and maybe someone can take a look at
> them. It would be
> >> even better if you would be willing to help out
> in putting together
> >> a comprehensive set of conjuncts, and a complete
> glyph repository
> >> for Tamil.
> >
> > I will do that!
> >
> > May be we will continue the discussion directly,
> off the scribus
> > list, since others may not find it very
> interesting!
>
> But I'm interested! :) Still, maybe the discussion
> is not specifically
> germane to Scribus, so if you do decide to take the
> discussion
> "off-list" could you please include my email address
> in the loop?

Hi Suki and Co!
Before you go off list, please consider creating a
simple Scribus Wiki page devoted to this topic:
current status, open questions, samples, people to
contact just in case, etc...

cheers
Maciej