[Scribus] Embedding OpenType fonts

MaHan ma_han2000
Wed Dec 13 17:21:18 CET 2006

--- avox <avox at arcor.de> wrote:

> &quot;Christoph Sch?fer&quot; wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a question to the font technology/PDF gurus
> here on the list:
> >
> > In the docs, we can read "OpenType Fonts cannot be
> fully embedded by
> > default. This greatly simplifies handling them in
> other applications." The
> > question is: How does InDesign manage to embed OTF
> fonts? And why are OTF
> > fonts embedded as TTF in InDesign PDFs?
> >

> I guess they embed it either as CFF or TTF font,
> ignoring any special OTF
> tables. Embedding OTF as OTF was only included in a
> later version of the PDF
> format (1.5 or 1.6 IIRC).
> I only found out yesterday how to retrieve a CFF
> font from a OTF with
> PostScript outlines.
> I might tackle that at some time in the future, but
> it would need extensive
> testing to make sure it *really* works as expected.

We've started to discuss the probable ID's way of
embedding OTF fonts  in PDF<1.6 as Type1 font subsets
in this RFE (see the last 3 notes and the attached PDF
which refers to embedded MinionPro subset as Type1
fonts):

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3701

I've submitted also a separate RFE for this procedure
(just in case somebody would like to look deeper into
it):

http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=4562

which lists this FOSS tool:
http://www.lcdf.org/~eddietwo/type/cfftot1.1.html