[Scribus] Embedding OpenType fonts

avox avox
Wed Dec 13 16:02:43 CET 2006

"Christoph Sch?fer" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question to the font technology/PDF gurus here on the list:
>
> In the docs, we can read "OpenType Fonts cannot be fully embedded by
> default. This greatly simplifies handling them in other applications." The
> question is: How does InDesign manage to embed OTF fonts? And why are OTF
> fonts embedded as TTF in InDesign PDFs?

I guess they embed it either as CFF or TTF font, ignoring any special OTF
tables. Embedding OTF as OTF was only included in a later version of the PDF
format (1.5 or 1.6 IIRC).
I only found out yesterday how to retrieve a CFF font from a OTF with
PostScript outlines.
I might tackle that at some time in the future, but it would need extensive
testing to make sure it *really* works as expected.

/Andreas