[Scribus] Survey: using tabs when alignment is other than 'left'

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Dec 13 15:39:17 CET 2006

Peter Nermander wrote:
>> I've a question for the users: how should tabs work in justified,
>> right-aligned or centered paragraphs?
>>

> This really depends on how you use tabs. Some people use tabs a lot to acheive
> intented paragraphs etc, which I think is an incorrect way of using it.

I agree with this. The question comes down to, not so much how the tab
function should work, but rather what is the end purpose for creating
spacing in a line that a tab or something else accomplishes.
What I look for sometimes are some features of line spacing that I have
in LaTeX, like 'hspace{}', or 'hspace*{}', or '\hfill', or '\hdot',
which are very handy things, the nice thing being that you can use these
anywhere in the line and know exactly what you're going to get. the
'\hspace' functions are something like tabs usually function, but (I
think) not quite the way tabs originally were implemented (on typewriters).

Greg