[Scribus] Trouble with Free Objects

joolean julesdownloads
Wed Dec 6 08:37:08 CET 2006

I was scratching my head wondering where my post had gone and realised that
the date on your last post is set at 6th of January 06 Calum.

Calum Polwart-2 wrote:

> I *think* its a feature rather than a bug!  I think it is meant to keep
> the page size from the imported document.

I guess it depends on the functional definition of the Import function,
though my thinking on this would go the other way, that if I'm importing an
object, it should not change the documents settings that I'm importing it
into.

Calum Polwart-2 wrote:

> OK so If I have this right you then end up with a 120x120 page
> positioned in the top left corner of the page.  Which means you can't
> bleed the LHS or Top? Unless you drag the objects... am I right?
> I couldn't see how you got them both on one page but you have to untick
> the move objects with page ;-)

Sort of. You set up your A4 page with guides for two 120x120mm pages. You
then just import two pages of that size, resize your A4 document back to its
A4 size, and then position the two imported pages within the guides. I use
'snap to guides'.
You can import two pages into one, you just have to do the Page->Import menu
twice.

Calum Polwart-2 wrote:

> Sorry no access to a windows version to test it (But does it not use Qt
> on Windows??).  If you can put the sla on a website I can see what linux
> does with it. (have you raised a bug? I could get the file from bugs if
> so)

I don't know what Qt is. Is that the Windows graphics library it uses?
I haven't raised a bug as I assume it's just something they haven't got
around to fixing yet. I will upload the two files with a step through so you
can see exactly what is happening. I don't have time at the moment though.

Calum Polwart-2 wrote:

> But if you are reopening the doc and they are no longer showing free -
> why would they not be imported?

They are still free. Reopening the doc doesn't make any difference, it just
updates the various windows. That is the problem. Free Objects that I can't
make part of the page and therefore can't import them into other documents.

Calum Polwart-2 wrote:

> OK so what's the work around?  Cut & Paste? If you have to reposition
> anyway that's not THAT bad an idea!
>
> External imposition tools (see the wiki on booklets) - these could do
> the job although you'll need to tweak the command for funny page sizes
> but you don't get crop lines etc
>
> Or - and here's the thing I've never understood about bleed!  If you are
> doing a 120 x 120 document and it needs 5mm bleed why would you not
> create a 130 x 130 document and put a guide in at 5mm, and 125mm which
> is effectively where the crops will be.  In fact you could go even
> bigger and put the crops in as well?
>
> I'm thinking as I type (never good!) For a booklet you'd want 125(w)
> x130(h) as you don't bleed on the fold with mirrored "margins" (guides?)
> on the opposing pages.  If that solves the overhang then you are
> sorted... I'm sure someone will now explain to me why we don't do that!

You are spot on on all accounts Calum and your comments on bleed, guides and
mirroring are the same solutions I came to as well, which are all valid
solutions.
The problem is, that with the functional limitations of Scribus' interface,
it is very time consuming and error prone. Mainly due to the A4 document
inheriting the page properties/guides/margins from the one you're importing.
This is a real pain and requires a developers mindset and patience to
overcome these problems. Something my students don't have.

Nevertheless, it does solve the Free Objects problem as long as you cut off
all shapes at the bleed edge.